Sunday, August 28, 2011

Sahara's Birth Story

I went in for my membrane sweep at 11:30am on August 25th. I was already 2 centimeters dilated, 80% effaced, and -1 station. I had read many comments saying how much a sweep hurt, but it really didn't bother me. Afterwards, my doctor said he'd probably see me this weekend, but I didn't believe him (he had said that last week, too).

Later that day, I went to go pick up my mom from the airport. While I was waiting on her plane to arrive, I started having a burning pain in my back and tried not to over-analyze it. I attributed it to the way I was sitting.
Later that night, I started having what I thought were Braxton-Hicks contractions. They didn't really hurt or anything, but I noticed then. I piddled around my apartment, organizing and hoping that this was it!

Sergio got home from work around midnight and by the time we went to bed, I was having very mild but time-able contractions. I woke up around 3am with semi-uncomfortable contractions. I went to the restroom and noticed blood on my toilet paper. At this point, I started to get VERY excited! I tried to get more sleep but the contractions were picking up (7 - 10mins apart). I woke Sergio and we started getting ready then woke up my mom so she could get ready. By 6am we were off to the hospital!

We arrived at the hospital and the nurse hooked me up to the monitors and checked me. I had only progressed to about 3 1/2 centimeters. For a minute, I was afraid I would be sent home! My contractions were 5 - 10 minutes apart and I was admitted. My doctor came and ruptured my membranes around 9am and then went to his clinic.

Up until this point the contractions weren't really painful. In fact, they didn't really get painful until about 10am and even then they were bearable. I was able to talk and do normal things but then I started HURTING! It became unbearable! I opted for a shot of Demoral (even though I had wanted to go 100% natural!) to help me rest, but it didn't dull the pain and it made me pretty loopy in between contractions. By now, I realized I was having back labor. At some point I begged my mom to "reach inside and pull the baby out because I can't stand this pain anymore". Then I told everyone to stop breathing because I thought their breathing was directly related to my pain. My contractions were coming fast and STRONG! I remember feeling the urge to push around 11:30, but when the nurse checked me I was only 6 centimeters! She said I couldn't push and to just breathe through it. This recommendation didn't go over too well with me and she got an earful then went to call my OB! I can't even try and explain how hard it was to resist the urge to push. The doctor got there around noon. I asked him if I could push and he said no because I had a 'lip of cervix left'. I was finally able to start pushing around 12:30pm. What a massive relief this was! It felt good to push! While I was pushing, he kept injecting me with numbing medicine and I didn't know why at the time (I was out of it in pain!) but I ended up getting an episiotomy. Sahara was born sunny side up at 12:55pm on August 26. She weighed 7lbs 14.7oz and was 20 inches long.

I truly enjoyed giving birth! The only part I'm disappointed about is that Sahara and I were only skin to skin for a brief moment and I didn't get to breastfeed right away because I was too tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment